Below is a list of needs your future college could meet for you. Beside each item, rank it on a scale of 1 to 4. 1=non-negotiable, 2=important, 3=semi-important, 4-unimportant.
- Long distance from current home
- Friends from high school will be there
- Internship opportunities in my future career
- Politically engaged student body
- Near nature, lots of outdoor activities
- Attractive program in my desired major
- School with high “name brand” recognition, prestigious
- Good sorority/fraternity scene
- Beautiful environment
- Cool college town, lots of off-campus opportunities
- Strong study abroad program
- Strong religious affiliation/spiritual opportunities
- Strong alumni network
This list is by no means comprehensive. You may have a completely different set of priorities than the ones listed here. The point is this: the sooner you get real about what your needs are, the sooner you can cross schools from your list that don’t meet them. You’re the one going to college; you’re the boss of your experience.